The Mission:

Complete 101 preset tasks in a period of 1001 days.

Saturday, July 4, 2009

#65 New Restaurants: Havana Cafe AND #66 New Food: Various Cuban Food


It's the 4th of July, and we didn't have any plans, so we did the most patriotic thing we could think of - eat Puerto Rican food! Haha!
You know, I wasn't too impressed with this. I mean, it wasn't bad by any means, but it was sooo expensive! My plate (it was a lot of food, granted) cost $17.00. My food was great - not that I had any idea what I was really eating. I ordered the San Juan Combination which was a whole bunch of things I'd never had before, including a pastele (Puerto Rican tamale), mofongo, alcapurrias (if this was what I thought it was - and I didn't know one food from another on the plate - then it was my favorite), tostones (which were far too dry), arroz con gandules, and masas de puerco. I really liked most of the food, but my stomach had never encountered most of the spices before, and wasn't too pleased with me afterwards. Plus, the majority was either fried or naturally greasy in some capacity, and that didn't sit too well either.
Anthony tried the pulled pork and really didn't like it. It just wasn't his type of spices. His order cost $20. So after all was said and done, it was over $50 just for dinner. And it was decent food, a new experience for sure, but not worth $50 for a single meal!
Actually, my very favorite part of the meal was the bread that they brought out. They had AMAZING bread! Mmmm....yes, that was the best part! But again, I'm not spending another $50 for good bread and decent food.
Oh, and just a word of advice: puerto rican food does not reheat well. That's all I'll say about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment