The Mission:

Complete 101 preset tasks in a period of 1001 days.

Thursday, July 2, 2009

#15 Nonfiction: The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands


This book was definitely not anything that I expected. I turned on the CD while I was doing housework earlier today, just hoping that it might have some inspiration in it for learning how my husband's brain works better and maybe a couple pearls of wisdom in it.
I've always been wary of radio talk show people. So I wasn't sure how to trust Dr. Laura. (I was thinking of Sleepless in Seattle meets Delilah - who I generally can't stand).
But within the first 3 minutes of the program, I wanted to reach out and hug her! She is absolutely brilliant, and every woman should listen to this tape. She goes off on how women are too overconcerned with themselves and thinking their husbands should "romance" them all the time, and yet want to be thought of as brilliant and capable and fully independent of their husbands. She point blank said that the rise of feminism is one of the biggest causes of divorce and failures in families and that women blaming men for all their problems are actually the problems themselves. And this was all in the first few minutes.
She says wives need to turn to their husbands for support, not just to their girlfriends, and that they should be romantic toward their husbands if they want their husbands to be romantic toward them. She says to stop beating around the bush if you want something and just tell your husband directly, but not nagging about something (i.e. "how much did _____ cost you?!?!) but rather about the actual issue (i.e. "hey darling, can we talk about money? I think we're spending too much"). And she says that men want to be their wife's hero, her knight in shining armor, so humor him once in a while with this fantasy.
Wow, I was surprised she wasn't shot by the fem-nazi's after what she said! But it needed to be said!
Really, all I can say is that every girl needs to read this book or listen to the book on tape. Seriously. It has great, practical advice, not all fluffed up.

My favorite line: Happiness is an attitude, not a reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment